[Rx2021] COVID-19 PittPharmacy Update

Kroboth, Patricia D pkroboth at pitt.edu
Sun Mar 15 23:09:09 EDT 2020

PittPharmacy Students, Faculty and Staff,
The past week has been a uniquely focused one--totally on COVID-19 and navigating uncertainty. I am extremely proud of how our faculty and staff quickly came together to learn and apply new approaches to teaching and working.  I am also extremely proud of how the students demonstrated acceptance of their responsibilities as members of the healthcare team.  I thank you all for your cooperation as we all make significant changes to the patterns of learning, teaching, researching and working in the middle of a semester.

 I am writing to provide an overview of what will be happening to the extent that it is predictable.

Classes:

  *   All classes will be taught remotely beginning on March 23. PharmD students, see announcements in either BlackBoard or Canvas regarding specific elements of the course.
  *   If the class is to be taught synchronously, class time will be at the same time as normally scheduled. If classes will be asynchronous, you will have specific directions from faculty.
  *   Likewise, practica, exams and assessments will be announced in BlackBoard or Canvas.

Experiential Learning (PharmD students)

  *   Each class has received communication from Professor Skledar and/or Dr. Pschirer specific to how you will be proceeding.  Careful consideration has been given to decisions, including the surveys the P2, P3, and P4 students were asked to complete.  The goal is to provide maximum possible for you, for patients, and for other healthcare team members. The balance of P1 experiences will be completed in the fall.

Extracurricular Events

  *   PLS Aucton items.  I ask that you use judgment on whether or not to proceed with the event as scheduled.  Consider planning the event for the fall if possible.  Many locations will likely be closed for the next month or more to prevent the spread of infection. Remember that some participants may be part of the vulnerable population due to asthma, chronic diseases or age.
  *   Pitt has stated that gatherings of greater than 25 individuals are prohibited. Good practice to minimize risk of infection is to have individuals separated by 6 feet.  It is not just the number of individuals but the density that matters, so consider that tight spaces may call for many fewer people than 25.
  *   National organizations will be making their own plans. APhA will be hosting virtual events, others are cancelling

For those of you not in Allegheny County, click the link below for information.  As you will see, the city is nearly shutting down in an effort to prevent the spread of the virus.  Even Catholic Masses have been cancelled.
https://www.wtae.com/article/allegheny-county-calls-on-all-non-essential-businesses-to-close/31648999#\

https://www.emergency.pitt.edu/covid-19

Stay healthy,
PDK
COVID-19 Updates | Public Safety & Emergency Management | University of Pittsburgh<https://www.emergency.pitt.edu/covid-19>
The health and safety of everyone in the University of Pittsburgh community is a top priority. For that reason, Pitt has decided to cancel all University-sponsored spring break study abroad and spring break study away programs that require air travel. In addition, Pitt is taking a proactive approach to locations with an increasing number of COVID-19 cases, and thus is requiring students who ...
www.emergency.pitt.edu

Patricia D. Kroboth, Dean
School of Pharmacy
412/624-2400