[Rx2021] The Election and You: PharmD Class of 2021 (Message from the Dean)

Skledar, Susan Jean sjs15 at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:36:12 EST 2020

Hello P4s!

See below for an important message from Dean Kroboth.

Prof. Skledar

Sue Skledar, RPh, MPH, FASHP

Director of Experiential Learning

Professor, Department of Pharmacy & Therapeutics

228 Salk Hall

Pittsburgh, PA 15261

412-648-1504

sjs15 at pitt.edu<mailto:sjs15 at pitt.edu>

________________________________

Dear Students,

By this time tomorrow, the world will have a good idea of how long the wait will be before we know the results of the election.  Regardless of your hopes this morning, we and those in our nation have a heightened sense of distraction, anticipation, anxiety, and/or worry.  The national move to board up store fronts for election day signals yet another unprecedented situation in 2020.

I share a few thoughts, as I, too, feel the distraction and the energy associated with the election.

  1.  We are all human—students, faculty, staff. Be understanding of each other and be kind. Be especially kind to yourself.
  2.  Register for “Election and Reflection” at NOON TODAY. Stay posted for the event on future dates through November 13.

https://calendar.pitt.edu/event/election_and_reflection?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=University+of+Pittsburgh#.X6Fz8lNKiCU

  1.  Watch Pitt Dean of Students Kenyon Bonner’s video message. As he says, “You have a voice. And your voice is powerful. Use it far and wide, often and unfettered, mindful of its sharp edges and calming power.” https://mailchi.mp/eadbdb32467e/sa-newsletter-900558<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmailchi.mp%2Feadbdb32467e%2Fsa-newsletter-900558&data=04%7C01%7Csjs15%40pitt.edu%7C48e29ab7322f4aeb12bf08d8800fc550%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1%7C1%7C637400152508539875%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=RlmcA7NHHcdlGxkH5rNN7weRNSY4rRh3BXAnN6nRU1c%3D&reserved=0>  You can create calm—within yourself and with others.
  2.  Our faculty and staff are caring individuals. Reach out if you want to talk. People of particular note are Dr. Sharon Corey, Dr. Maggie Folan, and Professor Mario Browne because of their experiences and roles as either ombudspersons or equity and justice.
  3.  You are here at PittPharmacy, preparing to be the frontline workers in healthcare. Pharmacies will not close during or after the election. Sometimes, we have to keep going to meet our responsibilities of serving the public and we are in the midst of a pandemic. Address your own self-care needs while realizing that you are committing selflessly to care for the public.
  4.  Visit the Student Affairs Website for resources and events, some specific to the election. http://www.studentaffairs.pitt.edu/ website for Student Affairs.

And finally, take care of yourselves.

PDK

Patricia D Kroboth, Dean

Dr. Gordon J. Vanscoy Distinguished Service Professor