[Rx2021] UPDATE on New APPE Rotations (2020-21)

Skledar, Susan Jean sjs15 at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 19 07:05:45 EST 2019

Hello P3s,

We have been busy gathering local APPE site availability, and we wanted to provide these updates about new and/or unique rotations that will be available this year. We are entering site descriptions in eValue as we receive them. We are also starting to work on out-of-the-area availability. The site options below will be in the eValue lottery during the rotation blocks where they have opened slots for Pitt students, unless otherwise specified.

Prof. Skledar

Ambulatory Care

  *   Gateway Health Plan MTM/Med Adherence Program
  *   ACORx - Carnegie PA
  *   Butler VA - traditional ambulatory care, plus a new pain management/behavioral health APPE
Hospital/Health-System/Acute Care

  *   Jefferson Hospital: Infectious disease acute care
  *   UPMC Pinnacle (Harrisburg): acute/hospital/community – they would like students for multiple rotations
  *   Trinity Health System (Steubenville OH): ambulatory care, hospital, acute care, electives, community
  *   University Hospital (Cleveland OH)- community (Gates; Samaritan), elective MTM (Gates), possibly acute care or hospital
  *   UPMC Magee – new oncology faculty – Dr. Leslie Gingo (gynecologic/oncologic surgery and internal medicine)
Community

  *   Ferri Pharmacy - Murrysville – independent pharmacy that specializes in home medical equipment and teaching
  *   University Hospital (Cleveland OH) – Bolwell Pharmacy, Gates Pharmacy, and Samaritan Pharmacy
  *   Several sites in Chambersburg, PA
Electives

  *   Cassian Solutions – Dr. Collin Wolf – can satisfy PBA ARCO – CV/Letter due by 11/18
  *   Medication Safety – UPMC Passavant
  *   Innovations/Technology - Dr. Ravi Patel – can satisfy PBA ARCO
  *   Community-based education – Dr. Catherine Rebitch (new faculty) – can satisfy CLIP or GH ARCO
  *   Care One Team Call Center (Rock Hill, SC) – informatics APPE and drug information APPE
  *   Benecard Central Fill and Pharmacy Benefits Manager (Mechanicsburg PA or Bonita Springs FLA)
  *   Softwriter - Pittsburgh – pharmacy clinical documentation and management software company
  *   Long-Term Care

     *   PharmScript of PA – Pittsburgh (Cranberry)
     *   PharMerica – Harrisburg

  *   Specialty Pharmacy

     *   CVS Specialty
     *   PANTHERx
     *   Valeda
     *   AllianceRx Walgreen
     *   Highmark Specialty

  *   Managed Care

     *   Gateway Health Plan
     *   United Health Plan
     *   UPMC Health Plan
     *   Highmark
     *   CVS Managed Care

  *   Industry

     *   Alkermes (Waltham, MA): will be in eValue lottery (1 student in block 1; 1 student in block 6; 2 students in block 7)
     *   Omnicell (Cranberry, PA): will be in eValue lottery (blocks 2,5,7)
     *   Pensiamo (Cranberry, PA): will be in eValue lottery (blocks 1,5,7,9)
     *   Therigy (Maitland, FLA): will be in eValue lottery (1 student in each block)
     *   BMS (Lawrenceville, NJ): application deadline was 10/15/19
     *   XCenda (Palm Harbor, FLA): application deadline was 11/10/19
     *   We are still waiting to hear from: Bayer (Whippany NJ), Astra Zeneca (Gaithersburg, MD), Biogen (MA), Mylan (Pittsburgh)
     *   Sites not offering APPEs for 2020-21: Sanofi Genzyme, Shire, and Pfizer 10-week medical information

Sue Skledar, BS Pharm, MPH, FASHP
Director, Experiential Learning Program and Continuing Professional Development
Professor, Department of Pharmacy & Therapeutics
228 Salk Hall
3501 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Phone: 412-648-1504