[Rx2021] Summer Experience in Namibia!

Mannino, Suzanne M smm198 at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 1 09:58:31 EDT 2019

The following email is being sent on behalf of Dr. Jonkman.

Thank you.

Suzanne Mannino
Student Program Administrator
229 Salk Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Phone: 412-648-1039
Email:smm198 at pitt.edu
[cid:image003.png at 01D4176A.794BCCD0]

Hello PittPharmacy!
I wanted to share an opportunity for students to join me in Namibia for 1-2 weeks in the summer.  This is a course that we’ve offered for now 4 years working with the University of Namibia School of Pharmacy and Windhoek Central Hospital.  We have course meetings every other week starting in May culminating in a 1-2 week experience in Namibia working with pharmacists, students, and new graduates in multiple pharmacy settings. The dates for this summer will be 28 July – 10 August 2019.

For some basic info, Namibia is a safe country with no travel warning.  I’ve spent cumulatively over a year in Namibia over the last few years without incident.  The educational system is all in English, so the students, faculty, and others you encounter will speak English fluently.  The risk of tropical disease is very low.  No malaria in any of the areas we will be going and you can drink the water from the faucet without risk.  At the end of the trip, we'll plan to spend a day or so on safari – Namibia is one of the top places for that.

I have scheduled 3 information sessions for this week if you have questions. I would love to see you there.  (Any that have participated before, you are welcome to join and share your experience)

Thursday April 4 from 12-1pm:  512-3 Salk
Friday April 5 from 8-9am:  512-3 Salk
Friday April 5 from 12-1pm:  512-3 Salk

For those interested in joining, I will ask you to write me a short essay (2 pages max) telling me why you want to join the team.  I try very hard to be able to accommodate all students who want to join. Deadline for essays will be April 12.

Looking forward to seeing you all very soon!
Dr. Jonkman