[Rx2021] Pharmacy Innovation Lab - Welcome (Back)! & September Info

Patel, Ravi Mahendra RaviPatel at pitt.edu
Fri Sep 1 12:25:15 EDT 2017

Good afternoon,

Welcome back and congratulations on completing your first week. I'm reaching out from our Pharmacy Innovation Lab. For those new faces in Pharmacy (and as a refresher), our Innovation Lab looks at what is new and useful in pharmacy education and practice. After a fun summer, we're excited for a fall filled with projects, events, and fun. These opportunities are available to any interested student from any stage from "I have an idea" stage to "I need help making this work". We've worked with students with ideas to improve a course, introduce a new technology in practice, or just to talk about what's new and interesting. You can join out Innovation Course, make a Special Topics, join our project, get mentoring for "pitch competitions", or join any meetings during the semester.  Here are a few things that we are interested this month/fall:

Projects:

  *   Games in Education - How do you teach about OTCs in a video game? Can we make a better quizlet for Health Science? How do you teach Drug Development in a gamified course? If you have answers (or more questions) let us know to join these projects.
  *   Design in Patient Experiences - We're trying to learn what are patient perceptions of pharmacy and what barriers do they face. No experience necessary, just a willingness to learn from end-users of healthcare and to come up with ideas second to that.
  *   What is Blockchain? - Not many people in pharmacy know, so let's tell them. Finding out who is using blockchain, why it matters, and what we can do to anticipate it's future in pharmacy.
September Events of Interest:

  *   Pitt Health Sciences MedEd - Friday September 9th 12pm-6pm, Scaife Hall (Link<http://www.oacd.health.pitt.edu/node/870>)
  *   CMU Project Olympus Entrepreneurship BootCamp - September 9th 1:30pm  - 5:00pm (CMU, more info Link<http://www.cmu.edu/swartz-center-for-entrepreneurship/events/connects/entrepreneurship-bootcamp.html>)
  *   Pitt's Entrepreneurial Cafe - September 22, 2017 5:30-7:30 p.m., Mervis Hall (Link<http://www.business.pitt.edu/katz/entrepreneurial-cafe>)
  *   Thrival Innovation Festival - September 27th - 28th, Around Pittsburgh Discount Available, email for info (Link<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thrival-innovation-intelligence-humans-x-tech-tickets-35738712451>)
Future events this Fall include:

  *   Ongoing Meetups / Innovation Sessions
  *   Pitt Games4Health, Oct 27th, Oct 28th - Link<https://pittgames4health.com/>
  *   PittPharmacy's Innovation Conference, November 7th - 8th
  *   Whatever idea you come up with
If you're interested in other emails this semester, do reply to this email to sign up for the mailing list or reach me at (PharmacyInnovationLab at gmail.com<mailto:PharmacyInnovationLab at gmail.com>). Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Ravi Patel, PharmD
School of Pharmacy
University of Pittsburgh