[Rx2021] SCCP and SIO New Drug Series: Journal Club

Rice, Mikhaila Lynn mikhailarice at pitt.edu
Tue Oct 31 08:51:09 EDT 2017

Hello,

The Student Industry Organization (SIO) and Student College of Clinical Pharmacy (SCCP) New Drug Series continues! This series is designed to introduce new and exciting medications that we might not otherwise be able to learn about in class.

The Journal Club component of the New Drug Series is designed to give you an opportunity to develop the literature evaluation skills that are central to clinical practice. Whether you are interested in clinical pharmacy or industry, you must be able to analyze clinical trails and literature effectively, and you must be familiar with new drug therapies. This month, we will learn about Orencia (apatacept), which is a TNF-alpha inhibitor used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.

SCCP Journal Club - Tuesday, November 7th @NOON in Salk 355
Hannah Akerberg, one of our SCCP Mentored Research Fellows, will lead a journal club discussion on abatacept; this will be good preparation for the upcoming New Drug Series Lecture. To get the most out of this journal club, come ready to discuss the trial below:

Genovese MC, Becker J, Schiff M, et. al. Abatacept for rheumatoid arthritis refractory to tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibition. N Engl J Med. 2005; 353(11): 1114-23.

SIO New Drug Series Lecture - Thursday, November 16th @NOON in Salk 402
We will welcome Nicole Butteri from Bristol-Myers Squibb. She has been working with abatacept for several years as a Medical Science Liaison, and she will be able to offer insight into how the drug is used in therapy.

If you have any questions regarding the New Drug Series or Journal Club, please reach out to any leaders within SIO or SCCP. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Mikhaila Rice

Mikhaila Rice
Student Pharmacist | Class of 2019