[Rx2021] SIO and SCCP Present: New Drug Series

SCCP pitt.accp.eboard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 19:08:57 EDT 2017

Hello,

As student pharmacists, we learn all about the drugs that are currently
available to treat our patients, but as pharmacists we must also be able to
evaluate and use the new drugs that come to the market each year. Student
Industry Organization (SIO) and Student College of Clinical Pharmacy (SCCP)
are partnering up this year to bring you a New Drug Series that will
explore new and exciting drugs while giving you an opportunity to develop
the analytical skills necessary for consideration of novel therapeutic
options.

Our New Drug Series will kick off on *Thursday, September 14th* at noon in
402 with Ocrevus (ocrelizumab), the first medication to be approved for
primary progressive and relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis. Diane
Ammerman, a Medical Science Liaison from Genentech and a Pitt Pharmacy
Alumna, will be leading our discussion.

Prior to hearing from Diane Ammerman, we will also be hosting a journal
club on *Wednesday, September 6th* at noon in the PCLC to discuss a key
phase III trial of ocrelizumab, "Ocrelizumab versus Placebo in Primary
Progressive Multiple Sclerosis." We will review the paper and discuss the
quality of the study, the impact of this medication in the patient
population, and the ways that it could affect or change current clinical
practice. The journal club will give you a basic understanding of the
medication and disease state in preparation for the New Drug Series
lecture; it will also provide you a great opportunity to gain experience
reviewing and analyzing papers, which is a key skill for clinical pharmacy
practice.

For those of you interested in industry, this will be a great opportunity
to see a unique role of a pharmacist in the field. For those interested in
clinical pharmacy, this will provide you with foundational knowledge about
a new and exciting medication so that you can inform your health care team
on rotations or in residency.

If you have any questions regarding the New Drug Series or Journal Club,
please reach out to any leaders within SIO or SCCP. We look forward to
seeing you there!

Sincerely,
SIO and SCCP Executive Boards
pitt.accp.eboard at gmail.com