[Rx2021] Take A Stand

Kroboth, Patricia D pkroboth at pitt.edu
Fri Mar 19 13:06:42 EDT 2021

[cid:image001.png at 01D71CC0.B4836ED0]
[cid:image002.png at 01D71CC0.B4836ED0]

   Stand Against Bigotry and Hate                                                            March 19, 2021
[cid:image003.png at 01D71CC0.B4836ED0]

Late on Wednesday, our country experienced yet more acts of violence that resulted in deaths and brought the horror of hate crimes to the front of our minds.

Whether you are a student or member of our faculty or staff, we all share the obligation to “foster. . . respect for the individual” as we state in our School of Pharmacy values. That means respecting and honoring every individual and their individuality. It means condemning acts of violence. The Class of ’24 wrote a pledge of professionalism that specifically reflects the obligations of every Pitt Pharmacy person.

Let us all affirm the sentiment so well expressed by the Class of ’24.

“. . .  I believe in the need to build and reinforce my identity as an integral member of the PittPharmacy community, which is founded on integrity, ethical behavior, and honor. My pledge to inclusion, unprejudiced compassion and equity is more important than ever as a result of this past year, a year pervaded by the COVID-19 pandemic with its loss of lives and livelihoods, a national recognition of civil rights activism and divisive politics,

We. . . will use our uniquely accessible role in healthcare and this oath to give all people a voice of hope, growth, and a place in a newly reformed system. We do this as our duty to people of all religious beliefs, genders, sexualities, disabilities, and races, including Black People, People of Asian and Pacific Islander and LatinX descent, Indigenous People, and All People of Color.”
These words magnify the anti-racist stance we proclaimed 10 months ago.   I reinforce that statement today.

“We at Pitt Pharmacy recognize the challenges of systemic racism, bias, and structural inequality.  We stand with Black, Asian and Indiginous People and all People of Color against racism. We take an anti-racist stance.  We must reflect on our own beliefs, words, actions and interactions. At the very core of our mission is assuring an inclusive, safe, equitable and just community.”

Let us stand strong against hatred and bigotry and show personal leadership to engage and to be anti-racist.

[pdk_sig]
Patricia D. Kroboth, Dean

Patricia D Kroboth, Dean
Dr. Gordon J. Vanscoy Distinguished Service Professor
School of Pharmacy
University of Pittsburgh