[Rx2021] New & Noteworthy: Dr. Susan Meyer

Kroboth, Patricia D pkroboth at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 28 16:26:25 EDT 2021

[cid:image001.png at 01D73C4A.B0F34B60]
[cid:image002.png at 01D73C4A.B0F34B60]

New & Noteworthy                                                                          April 28, 2021

It was just about one year ago that I announced that Susan Meyer, PhD, would be stepping away from her position as Associate Dean for Education in the School of Pharmacy.  Today, I am announcing her decision to retire from the University of Pittsburgh and the School of Pharmacy effective July 1, 2021.

Susan has had an enormous impact on our educational programs and during the last few years on Pitt’s undergraduate program in her role as Director of the Pitt Interprofessional Center for Health Careers.

When we think of Susan, we think of education—and for good reason. She is one of a small cadre of pharmacy educators with formal training as a practitioner (BS in pharmacy) and in higher education (MS and PhD programs focused on curriculum design and assessment in higher education).

Prior to joining the faculty at Pitt, she was faculty at Rutgers University then vice president at AACP. When Dr. Meyer left AACP, she arrived at PittPharmacy armed with tremendous experience, deep curricular and design knowledge, and an expansive professional network. During her time here, she has continued to influence the advancement of pharmacy education at the PittPharmacy, Pitt, national, and international levels.  We all know that she has:

  *   Been a mentor for many faculty members and students and has facilitated their success.  She models for others a commitment to the profession of pharmacy; to quality, evidence-based education and assessment; and to continual personal professional growth.

  *   Had a critical role is guiding individuals and teams to excellence in assessment and education and in positioning individuals and teams for nomination to awards in education. She has helped to shape the culture of excellence, innovation and leadership in education and the scholarship of education of which we are so proud. Her encouragement resulted in many innovation grants through the Office of the Provost.  Her letters of nomination resulted in national awards to recognize Teaching Innovations and Excellence in Assessment.

  *   Positioned pharmacy and specifically PittPharmacy as a leader in advancing concepts of interprofessional practice and education. Locally, she has been the Co-Director of the Pitt-UPMC Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education and the Pitt Interprofessional Center for Health Careers.

In addition, she has represented the pharmacy profession on the Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR)-convened Healthy People Task Force; participated in planning activities for the Collaborating Across Borders I, II, and III conferences; served as the United States co-chair for the international meeting of Collaborating Across Borders IV held in Vancouver, and then was responsible for bringing Collaborating Across Borders VII to Pittsburgh.

  *   Susan chaired the PittPharmacy Self-Study Steering Committees for the past two ACPE accreditation cycles in 2009 and 2016, which were so successful.

Susan’s commitment to professional organizations and to committees and taskforces here at Pitt and PittPharmacy has been extensive. For the sake of brevity, I will not review them. However, I do want to acknowledge her work prior to joining us here at Pitt Pharmacy.

While she was a faculty member at Rutgers, Pitt Pharmacy (PDK as Chair of the Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics) attempted to recruit Dr. Meyer—and failed.  She instead took a position at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), a position she held until joining us here at PittPharmacy in 2006 as associate dean for education. There, she had a striking impact.  While at AACP, Dr. Susan Meyer:

  *   Designed and, in part, delivered AACP Institute programs that guided AACP member institutions, faculty members, and administrators through the transition to the PharmD as the sole professional degree in pharmacy.

  *   Was the architect of the annual AACP Teachers Seminars, each year focused on contemporary topics in pharmacy education and designed so that participants could return to their home institutions armed with new skills and ideas to advance their scholarly teaching.

  *   Led the profession-wide Center for the Advancement of Pharmacy Education (CAPE) and the Advisory Committees that authored the CAPE Educational Outcomes in 1994 and 1998. She was also responsible for the significant revision of the CAPE Outcomes in 2004. The CAPE outcomes more clearly described to external audiences the targeted outcome of the professional degree program in pharmacy. These competencies were subsequently incorporated into ACPE Standards 2007.  The PittPharmacy PharmD Program outcomes are directly linked to those CAPE Outcomes.

  *   Represented pharmacy on the Healthy People Curriculum Task Force and was a co-author of the Clinical Prevention and Population Framework.  The latter was one of the first resources produced to advance interprofessional education, specifically in the context of population health.
Susan will now have more time to spend with her husband Bill, her daughter Emily and husband Jerry, and especially, her year-old grandson, Wyatt.

Join me in congratulating our colleague and friend, Susan Meyer, on her latest professional move.

[cid:image003.png at 01D73C4A.B0F34B60]
Patricia D. Kroboth, Dean
Dr. Gordon J. Vanscoy Distinguished Service Professor
School of Pharmacy
University of Pittsburgh