[Rx2021] Interprofessional Geriatrics Learning Experience - during block 6

Skledar, Susan Jean sjs15 at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 10 12:44:29 EDT 2020

Hello P4s,

Hope you are all doing well. As block 4 is finishing up soon, please remember to do your eValue work (evaluations) and post your required portfolio evidence. You should also have checked in with your block 5 preceptor. We hope to have block 6 confirmed/ reconfirmed for all of you within the next week. We're doing our best to ensure your P4 year continues as best we can!

A new opportunity is available for Block 6 (week 1): Let me know if you are interested by Friday, September 18th.
(If you are in Geriatric-Palliative Care ARCO, you already have been approved to attend.)

Interprofessional Geriatrics Experience
During the 1st four days of block 6 (Mon 10/26/20 - Thurs 10/29/20), the Schools of Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Social Work and Health & Rehab Sciences will be offering the "Interprofessional Geriatrics Experience," which is a four-day remote workshop of experiential learning activities/content focused on caring for the elderly. This program is led by the School of Medicine, and all health sciences school students are invited to participate. It is unique to the University of Pittsburgh, and is a wonderful learning opportunity for you. Last year we had 20 P4s attend this experience!

The program will be hosted via Microsoft Teams, and will involve your being part of interprofessional teams of learners from 10 different healthcare disciplines at Pitt. Nearly 250 interprofessional students from medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dental, PT/OT/SLP, social work, and nutrition will be participating this year! You'll learn the fundamentals of aging; skills and approaches to caring for the elderly; review geriatric pharmacology (of course!); and be involved in a week-long nursing home COVID challenge project, which culminates in the possibility of submitting the best project for a grant (and prize [financial!]) for the winning student group.

Regarding your hours -- If you attend these 4 days, this time would be a part of block 6, so you would not have to make-up missed time from your original block 6 APPE. You would attend "Geri Week" on Mon-Thurs of block 6, and start your regularly scheduled block 6 on Friday, October 30th. I would clear this with your preceptor, as well, in advance of the experience, to make sure you can attend.

Thanks for considering. Please let me know by 9/18 if you are interested!

Prof. Skledar

Sue Skledar, RPh, MPH, FASHP

Director of Experiential Learning

Professor, Department of Pharmacy & Therapeutics

228 Salk Hall

Pittsburgh, PA 15261

412-648-1504

sjs15 at pitt.edu<mailto:sjs15 at pitt.edu>