[Rx2021] This is not the email I wanted to send

Kroboth, Patricia D pkroboth at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 2 20:16:41 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.png at 01D6391A.B9DC16F0]

[Patricia D. Kroboth, PhD, Dean   Dr. Gordon J. Vanscoy Distinguished Service Professor]

June 2, 2020

This is not the email that I intended to send.  I wanted to send a message that shared my excitement that we are planning for the fall in creative ways.

And then, I couldn’t because my heart is very heavy.  What happened to George Floyd is horrible and sickening. Our beloved country is in turmoil with violence against people, vehicles and businesses such that those actions distract from the meaningful basis for the peaceful protests.

And then I think of my responsibility . . . and our responsibility . . . to be the change we want to see.  I think about the amazing and caring impact of our faculty, staff and students who reach so many people to improve their health and their lives.  We have tremendous capacity to do good—even more good than we have been doing. Think about what actions we can take that will give ourselves and others reason for hope for an improved future. As President Obama said, “It falls on us to create a ‘new normal’ in which the legacy of bigotry and unequal treatment no longer infects our institutions or our hearts.”

As you think, consider registering for TOMORROW’s  (Wednesday’s)

Campus Town Hall at noon:  “I Can’t Breathe—From Agony to Activism.” https://calendar.pitt.edu/event/i_cant_breathe_from_agony_to_activism#.XtbHwsZ7k6h

Finally, there is probably no better example of the lack of situational leadership, which we discuss in the Emerging Professional, than what happened last week. Had the three officers shown situational leadership by doing the right thing, the outcome could have been very different.
Let us create a better future together.
[cid:image007.png at 01D6391A.B9DC16F0]
Patricia D Kroboth, Dean
Dr. Gordon J. Vanscoy Distinguished Service Professor
School of Pharmacy
University of Pittsburgh