[Rx2021] NYTimes Article New and Noteworthy 2020 Feb.pdf

Kroboth, Patricia D pkroboth at pitt.edu
Tue Feb 11 12:14:21 EST 2020

PittPharmacy PharmD Students,
I shared my commentary with faculty and staff last week and am sharing it now with you.  I also submitted and op-ed to the NYTimes about the root cause and actions.  I am happy to discuss the topic with you.  If you are interested, please go through your class presidents to arrange.
You will do great because you are working on being exceptional—every day. And we are preparing you in an exceptional way.  READ ON! The pdf is the same content that appears below.
PDK
[cid:image001.png at 01D5E0D4.C9CAD720]
New & Noteworthy                                                                                    February 4, 2020
This email is prompted by Friday’s New York Times (NYT)  article about community chain pharmacy https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/health/pharmacists-medication-mistakes.html<https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2020%2F01%2F31%2Fhealth%2Fpharmacists-medication-mistakes.html&data=02%7C01%7Cpkroboth%40pitt.edu%7Cd96f8a3141474ad2dad708d7a644e2aa%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1%7C0%7C637160687097845856&sdata=SFlhRKFDOBEDSmo0mPLDy2LuJLmtMgEdLF9ATh1KhJs%3D&reserved=0>.  The NYT article is factual. It does not provide new information. It makes what we at PittPharmacy are doing more critical.
For some time, we have been aware that the future of pharmacy and how pharmacists will spend their time must change for the health of our patients and the public.  And thanks to our work and key other leaders, pharmacy is changing in some community environments.  This email is to remind you what we have been and are doing so that you know and so that you can respond to questions from students and others.
In terms of education, PittPharmacy has firmly established a culture of “personalizing education” for student pharmacists, an approach that was initially based on knowing that pharmacy must change and that the opportunities for individuals with a PharmD degree are vast. What more are we doing?
In practice and research, PittPharmacy has been an innovator and leader through the PittPharmacy CLIP# (Community Leadership and Innovation in Practice) Center (Melissa McGivney, Director).
We can all take pride in the truly extensive list of firsts and extent of impact by the faculty, staff, fellows, residents, and students of the PittPharmacy. This list only relates to community pharmacy, as that is the focus of the NYT article.  That includes, though is not limited to:

1.       Spreading direct patient care and reimbursement for care throughout pharmacies in Pennsylvania through the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Care Network (PPCN), with Stephanie McGrath as the lead faciliator.

2.       Nationally leading ACT (Academia-CPESN Transformation) Pharmacy Collaborative, which creates partnerships between individual states Community Pharmacy State Enhanced Networks and 82 schools of pharmacy to assure that nationally, our academic colleagues are working with local pharmacies.

3.       Leading Pennsylvania’s efforts to Flip the Pharmacy, which changes the work flow within the pharmacy to allow for patient care.

4.       Students at Legislative Day:  annually advocating for changes to the Pharmacy Practice Act and provider status every year since 2012.

5.       Teaching —and hopefully living—the Pharmacist Patient Care Process to pharmacists state-wide and to PittPharmacy students.

6.       Ongoing discussions with leaders of community pharmacy chains and with independent pharmacy owners.
# The CLIP Center, led by Melissa McGivney, encompasses the Grace Lamsam Pharmacy Program for Underserved (Sharon Connor, Lauren Jonkman, Karen Pater, Catherine Rebitch), the Community Engagement Centers (Catherine Rebitch), the Pitt Employee Pharmacy Benefit Program (Luke Berenbrok and Natalie Capozollo), the Allegheny County Health Department (Joni Carroll), Flip the Pharmacy work in chain and independent pharmacies (Brandon Antinopoulous and Stephanie McGrath).  It also includes the Pharmacy Innovation Network for advancing patient care in communities (Kim Coley, Joni Carroll and Sophia Cothrel).  CLIP continues to grow in order to spreading innovation and leadership in practice.
      [pdk_sig]