[Rx2021] Spring break opportunity in Namibia

Mannino, Suzanne M smm198 at pitt.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:01:29 EDT 2019

The following email is being sent on behalf of Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you.

Suzanne Mannino
Student Program Administrator
229 Salk Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Phone: 412-648-1039
Email:smm198 at pitt.edu
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D5284E.65834700]

Hello PittPharmacy Family!
I wanted to share an exciting opportunity for students to join me in Namibia over spring break.  This is a course that we’ve offered for now 5 years working with the University of Namibia School of Pharmacy and Windhoek Central Hospital.  We have course meetings every other week starting in January to prepare for the experience which will culminate in a 1 week rotation experience in Namibia working with pharmacists, students, and new graduates in multiple pharmacy settings.

I will also have opportunities for students to join me in the summer (late July/early August) if spring break doesn’t work.  For some basic info, Namibia is a beautiful country with no travel warning.  The educational system is all in English, so the students, faculty, and others you encounter will speak English fluently.   No malaria in any of the areas we will be going and you can drink the water from the faucet at the guest house.  At the end of the trip, we'll plan to spend a day on a game reserve so you can see some of the country and maybe some animals – Namibia is one of the top places for that.

This is a unique pharmacy experience that is unlike experiences offered by other schools of pharmacy!  I have set up 3 information sessions so that I can answer any questions you might have about the experience.

Tuesday 9/17 from 8-9am in Salk 512-3
Thursday 9/19 from 12-1pm in Salk 512-3
Friday 9/20 from 8-9am in Salk 512-3.

If none of the information sessions work with your schedule, please let me know and we can find another time that works.

After the info sessions, for those interested in joining, I will ask you to write me a short essay (2 pages max) telling me why you want to join the team.  Deadline for essays will be October 20. I try very hard to be able to accommodate all students who want to join, but if there are large numbers of students I will use the essays to help determine acceptance.

Looking forward to seeing you all very soon!
Dr. Jonkman