[Rx2021] Spring Break in Namibia

Jonkman, Lauren Jennifer ljf1 at pitt.edu
Mon Nov 26 06:41:59 EST 2018

Hello!
I wanted to share an opportunity for students to join me in Namibia over spring break.  This is a course that we’ve offered for now 4 years working with the University of Namibia School of Pharmacy and Windhoek Central Hospital.  We have course meetings every other week starting in January culminating in a 1 week (2 weeks if you are a P3) experience in Namibia working with pharmacists, students, and new graduates in multiple pharmacy settings.

I will also have opportunities for students to join me in the summer (late July/early August) if spring break doesn’t work.  For some basic info, Namibia is a safe country with no travel warning (I’ve been living here since April with my family and have had no problems).  The educational system is all in English, so the students, faculty, and others you encounter will speak English fluently.  The risk of tropical disease is very low.  No malaria in any of the areas we will be going and you can drink the water from the faucet at the guest house.  At the end of the trip, we'll plan to spend a day or so on safari – Namibia is one of the top places for that.

Since I am currently still in Namibia, I wanted to have information sessions via Skype.  I’ll schedule them for Tues, Wed, and Friday of this week.  See below for log-in information for the Skype meeting.  I can answer any questions you might have about the experience.  For those interested in joining, I will ask you to write me a short essay (2 pages max) telling me why you want to join the team.  I try very hard to be able to accommodate all students who want to join. Deadline for essays will be December 7.

Looking forward to seeing you all very soon!
Dr. Jonkman

Tues 8-9am:
Join online meeting<https://meet.lync.com/pitt/ljf1/5RGTUGML>
Join by Phone
+14126488888,,24110511# (Dial-in Number)            English (United States)
+18665884789,,24110511# (Dial-in Number)            English (United States)

Wed 8-9am:
Join online meeting<https://meet.lync.com/pitt/ljf1/KBVVPBDS>
Join by Phone
+14126488888,,59706750# (Dial-in Number)            English (United States)
+18665884789,,59706750# (Dial-in Number)            English (United States)

Fri 8-9am:
Join online meeting<https://meet.lync.com/pitt/ljf1/W83LV68W>
Join by Phone
+14126488888,,52665216# (Dial-in Number)            English (United States)
+18665884789,,52665216# (Dial-in Number)            English (United States)