[Rx2021] APhA-ASP Annual Meeting Interest

Mannino, Suzanne M smm198 at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:21:50 EST 2018

The following email is being sent on behalf of Katie Rudzik.

Thank you.

Suzanne Mannino
Student Program Administrator
229 Salk Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Phone: 412-648-1039
Email:smm198 at pitt.edu
[cid:image003.png at 01D4176A.794BCCD0]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello student pharmacists,

I am reaching out about the APhA Annual Conference in Seattle, WA March 22-24. I know this may seem far in advance, but registration has just opened and flights are expensive and will only increase in cost the closer we get. I would like to provide some basic information for those interested in attending the conference or to help students determine the feasibility of this conference for them!

If you are interested in attending at all, please fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/vcsow02rKGZa9xki1<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgoo.gl%2Fforms%2Fvcsow02rKGZa9xki1&data=02%7C01%7Csmm198%40pitt.edu%7C7a796242124648e8cde908d64b087ee0%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1%7C0%7C636778897187831617&sdata=bVnI%2BT90EnzG7WR3vEd3n5WSdp97BAD6JJ5euoHEr88%3D&reserved=0>. This is not binding and is just to gauge general interest in the conference!

General Conference Information:

This year’s Annual Meeting is in Seattle, WA March 22-25. However, student programming ends on March Sunday, March 24 @ 10 pm. You will be required to attend the conference until this time so I would look into flights leaving Monday, March 25. At this conference, there will be student programming sessions, APhA-ASP policy hearings/voting; election of APhA-ASP national executive board members; an EXPO with drug companies/pharmacies/residency programs; a poster-presentation session; and student awards ceremony. These are just the major highlights of the conference, and the full schedule will be made available as we get closer to the conference. With that being said, there will be a schedule of REQUIRED events ( as was the case with MRM), but that will be discussed once I receive the finalized conference schedule.

Flights:

When booking flights, please keep in mind that the first required event for reimbursement is usually Friday around 3 pm and the last ends Sunday at 10 pm. That means that to receive reimbursement, you must be in Seattle and ready to go by Friday at 3 pm and you must leave after Sunday at 10 pm (i.e. I am leaving Monday). Please try to book flights as a group and do NOT fly alone. If you have any questions or concerns about flights, please feel free to reach out to me!

Registration:

Early Bird registration ends on February 1, and the rate is $295. After February 1, the rate goes up to $360. So, it is in your best interest to register for the conference before February 1st if you KNOW you will be attending the conference to help you make the most of your reimbursement amount. If you are still unsure if you will be attending, we will be providing more information at our GBM on January 9th!

Lodging:

Hotels can be expensive so I would look into hotels NOW. Do not forget that AirBnB is a viable option and can be split multiple ways. However, this may not be eligible for reimbursement so please keep that in mind if you expect full reimbursement (very limited this year). Hotels are available through APhA at a discounted rate and can be accessed via aphameeting.pharmacist.com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faphameeting.pharmacist.com&data=02%7C01%7Csmm198%40pitt.edu%7C7a796242124648e8cde908d64b087ee0%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1%7C0%7C636778897187841626&sdata=l5qPGN8EG%2FieDIBbEFkyz88g8T4%2Bo2KdSp0A2RIZ9q4%3D&reserved=0>. It will not be required for everyone to stay at the same hotel, so if you would like to make your arrangements now or in the near future, that is fine. To get a hotel though APhA to get the hotel rates set for us and our conference, the deadline is February 25th; if you are going through a different group such as AAA or Travelocity, this deadline does not apply.

Deadlines:

Just a recap of the upcoming deadlines for the Annual Conference:

February 1st- Early Bird Registration Ends
February 25th- APhA Hotel Reservation Deadline
February 22nd at midnight - School Google Form for reimbursement

I will be sending out more information when we get closer to the conference!

Please let myself or any of the Eboard members know if you have questions, need clarification, or want to discuss anything further to help you decide if this conference is feasible for you! I highly encourage everyone to consider attending - the conference is great!

Thank you and see you in Seattle!

Katie

Katelyn Rudzik
PharmD Student, Class of 2020