[Rx2021] APhA-ASP Updates!

Mannino, Suzanne M smm198 at pitt.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:09:56 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

Welcome back! Thank you to everyone who came out to the GBM yesterday, but for those of you who could not attend we have some important announcements below:

1. The annual Tucci Lecture will be held on Wednesday, January 24th from 12-12:50 pm in Scaife lecture hall 6. Our guest speaker this year will be Dr. Greg Drew, President of Value Drug Company. Please come out to hear Mr. Drew’s story, what he has accomplished in his career as a pharmacist, and how to be a leader in pharmacy.

2. In 1983, the Pharmacy Section of the University of Utah School on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependencies was established to increase awareness of the health and social problems of alcoholism and other drug dependencies.  During the 2014 session it was announced that the Utah School will no longer offer their annual conference.  However, APhA stepped up to carry on this conference last year and will be having their 4th Annual APhA Institute on Alcoholism and Drug Dependencies from May 30-June 3rd 2018 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Pitt APhA-ASP Chapter is fortunate enough to be able to provide two scholarships to students         to attend this conference every year.  We will be holding our annual essay contest judged by the faculty advisors to select our winners. The APhA Institute cannot guarantee that there will be enough spots for 2 students from each chapter, but if one or both students are selected by the APhA Institute they will receive up to $1,000 each for travel and conference expenses from our chapter.

Please submit your essay in a Word Document to the pitt.aphaasp.eboard at gmail.com<mailto:pitt.aphaasp.eboard at gmail.com> to participate in the essay contest! The essay word limit is 500 words. Your essay should address what you will get out of the conference and why you should be selected to attend. The deadline to email your essay is Monday, January 26th, 2018 at 11:59pm. We will then select the 2 students who will be attending and receiving reimbursement (by mid February), however we will submit the names of all applicants to APhA for the wait list incase any other spots open up. If a student on the wait list is accepted, the cost of the conference is on the student- there will be no reimbursement from the school. Students on the wait list will be notified by March 9th either way.