[Rx2021] APhA-ASP Annual Conference 2018

Mannino, Suzanne M smm198 at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 21 11:20:22 EST 2017

Hello everyone,

I am reaching out about the APhA Annual Conference in Nashville, TN March 16th- March 19th. I know this may seem far in advance, but the registration deadlines are quickly approaching, so I would like to provide some basic information for those interested in attending the conference or to help students determine the feasibility of this conference for them!

General Conference Information:

As I stated, the conference is being held in Nashville Tennessee March 16th ( a Friday; first session starts at 3 pm) through March 19th ( a Monday). HOWEVER, student programing ends on Sunday, March 18th at 10 pm. Keep this in mind when planning your transportation, because professors will most likely expect you to be coming back/traveling on Monday and in classes on Tuesday. At this conference, there will be student programming sessions, APhA-ASP policy hearings/voting; election of APhA-ASP national executive board members; an EXPO with drug companies/pharmacies/residency programs; a poster-presentation session; and student awards ceremony. These are just the major highlights of the conference, and the full schedule will be made available as we get closer to the conference. With that being said, there will be a schedule of REQUIRED events ( as was the case with MRM), but that will be discussed once I receive the finalized conference schedule.

Registration:

Early Bird registration ends on January 17th, and the rate is $268 dollars. After January 17th, the rate goes up to $341. Reimbursement amounts will not be set until February, once everyone has filled out the school’s Google Form. So, it is in your best interest to register for the conference before January 17th if you KNOW you will be attending the conference to help you make the most of your reimbursement amount. If you are still unsure if you will be attending, we will be providing more information at our GBM on January 10th- however that date is very close to the registration deadline, so keep that in mind. Here is the Google Form to fill out if you are interested in attending annual/know you are attending:

https://goo.gl/forms/X3T3xfM8yqQt1lXp1

Transportation:

Nashville is about 8-9 hours away. This is drivable, and the cost of driving is much less than the cost of flying. Therefore, we will be determining reimbursement amounts based on the cost of DRIVING. If you do not want to drive, you are welcome to fly, but again, the reimbursement amounts will be determined based on driving costs, so a flight that exceeds the cost of driving will most likely not be completely covered by your reimbursement. I have attached an excel sheet for carpooling, so if you know you are going to the conference and know you are driving/ may be driving or know who you are driving, start filling out the sheet so we can maximize carpooling! Here is the link to the Google Sheets for carpooling:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_XfYZH-eca_t6Y00cpZNxRNIKnjqnp8-XHSmwUcLhv8/edit?usp=sharing

Hotels:

We are looking into the hotel that we would like to use as our school’s “hotel”, and I will pass that information along once the executive board decides what we think is best for cost and ease of travel. Most hotels have parking on-site, but that cost will be accounted for in the driving costs we estimate. It will not be required for everyone to stay at the same hotel, so if you would like to make your arrangements now or in the near future, that is fine. To get a hotel though APhA to get the hotel rates set for us and our conference, the deadline is February 15th; if you are going through a different group such as AAA or Travelocity, this deadline does not apply.

Deadlines:

Just a recap of the upcoming deadlines for the Annual Conference:

January 17th- Early Bird Registration Ends
February 15th- APhA Hotel Reservation Deadline
February 9th at midnight - School Google Form for reimbursement deadline

Please let myself or any of the Eboard members know if you have questions, need clarification, or want to discuss anything further to help you decide if this conference is feasible for you!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Sarah Hunt
Student Pharmacist, Class of 2019